Provincial Youth Council (PYC) Consultation
Anglican Church of Southern Africa
Statement for release on the final day of Consultation 2017 (20-23 September 2017).
At the recent gathering of delegates, representing young people of the Anglican
Church of Southern Africa, at St. Bedes College, Mthatha, time was spent in
prayer and deliberation.
Fundamental to our time spent together, was considering the future of PYC, the
body which drives children and youth ministry in the province under the banner of AYSA (Anglican Youth of Southern Africa).
This Consultation was the final meeting for Tony Lawrence, the Provincial Youth Coordinator, and we give thanks for his tenure as our Provincial youth Coordinator and his work with PYC over the many years.
The consensus of this gathering was;
1. We will continue this Youth Ministry in the Province, under the guidance of the
newly elected Exco, in the absence of a full time Provincial Youth Coordinator.
2. We thank the Province for the financial commitments and commit to being good stewards of our resources.
3. We renew our commitment to the Young People of this province and will strive
to operate effectively, by using an approach starting from a Parish level up,
rather than an Exco level down.
4. We acknowledge the need to ensure our children and young people are safe at all times, and thus call on our leaders to have proper measures in place, aligning the Church practices and operations with the Law of land, e.g. screening of those working with children.
5. We call on our Bishops to encourage mentorship and training programs within
every Diocese, for Young people.
6. We endeavor to meet once a year and will do this in a central City, which aides
in limiting expenses.
7. We are committed to a Christ-centered ministry and mission, that is informed
by scripture, reason, tradition and experience.
8. We call on our Spiritual leaders to engage and guide young people by their
continuous explicit support in ministering to young people, promoting the
We would like to take this opportunity to thank Ms. Elsie Mahlaela, Ms. Abigail Hopley, Rev. Calvin Frans, Dr. Sithule Siyotula and Mr. Shane Thomas for their contribution in Youth ministry during their term.
We would also like to congratulate the newly elected Exco and request that we keep them in our prayer. The new Exco is as follows:
President: Mr Bino Makhalanyane – Diocese of Free State
Deputy President: Ms. Lulama Ntuta – Diocese of Highveld
Secretary: Ms. Sheena Pereira – Diocese of St Mark the Evangelist
Treasurer: Mr. Athenkosi Pono – Diocese of Port Elizabeth
Chaplain: Rev. Vuyisile Sonti – Diocese of Highveld
Member: Ms. Xolile Biyela – Diocese of Zululand
Member: Mr. Kgowe Moleme – Diocese of Matlosane
Member: Mr. Abrao Dongala – Diocese of Angola
We thank the Diocese of Mthatha for hosting us and we continue to uphold the
people of this Diocese in our prayers.
We continue to uphold the young people of our Province in our prayers as we seek the guidance of God in living out our baptismal promises.
Yours in Christ
Provincial Youth Council (PYC) 2017